The City of Las Vegas was a streamlined passenger train operated by the Union Pacific Railroad between Las Vegas, Nevada, and Los Angeles, California from 1956 until 1968.
It operated from 1956 to 1968. It was one of several trains to operate with the experimental General Motors Aerotrain, although this experiment was short-lived. Operating from December 18, 1956, to September 14, 1957, railroads, UP was disappointed in the GM train but wanted to keep the City of Las Vegas going.
On September 15, 1956, the UP replaced the Aerotrain with conventional streamlined equipment. In addition, the UP offered all passengers full buffet-style meals as a part of their ticket price.
The all-coach train left Los Angeles at 8:00 am, providing a continental breakfast and cold luncheon featuring fried chicken before arriving in Las Vegas at 2:45 pm. After turning the train, it left Las Vegas at 3:45 pm, serving a hot dinner and arriving in Los Angeles at 10:30 pm. The train made four stops en route: East Los Angeles, Pomona, Riverside, and San Bernardino.
In addition to five 48-seat coaches and the buffet car, the train featured a bar-lounge car.
On September 24, 1961, the name was changed to Las Vegas Holiday Special when the UP reduced frequency. Service ended altogether on June 15, 1968.
Passenger train service in the United States had declined during the 1960s due to jet airline services and modern highways.