CITY OF SAN FRANCISCO streamliner left Oakland Pier terminal in two sections on January 2, 1938, when the new ultra-modern 17-car train was inaugurated to supplant the original 11-car train which had been in operation since June 14, 1936, for the SP-UP-C&NW between San Francisco and Chicago. Both trains carried capacity loads of holiday travelers. The original streamliner was assigned to other service after this trip.
Home > Gateway to San Francisco in the 1950s. Streamliners, the SP ferries and the Oakland Pier. > city_of_san_francisco-_january_2_1938